Feltie Tutorial

by MCA Designs on August 1, 2012

This tutorial gives you the basic instructions for making our Felties in the hoop of an embroidery machine. You will need one of our Feltie designs to complete this project, which are on sale through August 10th, by the way. ;) The snap clip cover design is sold separately but is FREE to our Facebook fans for a limited time.

As you can see, I have minimized the number steps for these Felties. They are so small, I did not feel the need to create a placement stitch for the second layer. Just place a small amount of felt on top of each stitched area, and you are ready for the tack down. I also, eliminated the extra piece of felt on the back and extra outline stitching, since these are being glued to a snap clip cover or a bow. I have had a customer request the step for the extra felt, though. What do you prefer? I would like to take your preferences into consideration as I create more Feltie designs. Please leave a comment and let me know what you think. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Print Friendly
Be Sociable, Share!

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

Jacquelyn August 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM

I like the extra back layer of felt because it gives the feltie a little more stability

mcadesigns August 2, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Thanks! I can see where that would help if you have a thinner piece of felt. I used a 35% wool blend. It was fairly thick and had plenty of body.

Linda Ransom August 2, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Thanks so much for doing the tutorial and the free clippie base design. Personally since I have not done these but intend to start I would still like to have the option of a backing. To me it makes the difference in a Boutique Item vs. a craft show fast item…Just me. Maybe a separate step that you can advance past and just not do if you don't want to. I do that often with other designs.

mcadesigns August 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

That is a good idea. Typically it would be the last step, so you could just stop before that if you did not want to use the extra felt.

Pat August 2, 2012 at 11:06 AM

Second layer…what glue sticks to the clip?

mcadesigns August 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM

I just used hot glue. It worked fine between the layers of felt.

janice August 2, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Thank you, I've seen them and did not know how to do them. This looks pretty easy. Do you use the 6000 glue? I don't remember the name of the glue, just it is 6000. I heard it is very good glue.

mcadesigns August 2, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I have not used that before. I just used hot glue. It worked fine between the layers of felt.

Linda L August 2, 2012 at 2:15 PM

I like the back layer to cover up the stabilizer. It does make it a little harder to cut around the edges but I think it is neater. I just put another piece of felt under my hoop and run the first set of tack down stitches again if there is not a step included. I have not made any felties in a while but it seems like the 2 or 3 different digitizers that I currently own all have that backing step with them. People who don't want it could just leave that last step off I suppose.

mcadesigns August 2, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Yes. I can see where that would work. The only current one that might present an issue from a design standpoint is the puppy.

Karen August 15, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Thanks Mel. I love the tute. I have done a few of them (by trial and error) and this clarifies that I am doing them properly, but also that this is a good way to do them. Thanks for the info!

karen September 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

i for one like to do both depending what i'm using them for , if i make bow centers then i can leave back off, if i m giving them has a gift then i feel a back felt is needed . i give them as a gift to teachers, scrappers . i think having the instruction to do both is better…